The witches coven
When we think of a witches coven, we think of a group of old wart nosed witches standing around a simmering cauldron reciting incantations, however the true witch's coven is nothing like this and they do exist today. Of the covens existing today, the Wicca coven is perhaps the most notable and joining a coven or becoming the leader of one is is not a task that should be taken lightly.
There are many unqualified Wicca teachers out there who give bad advice and teachings, and it seems that just about anyone can and will set up a website claiming to be a Wicca. Before letting you join the coven you will have to take a kind of interview and of course, you will have to decide as much as the coven if you want to be a part of the group.
The pagan belief system is very diverse and as such, practices from group to group will vary, however one thing that all groups or covens have in common is that they rely on the blending of spiritual energies within the group. There are several questions you should ask of the group leader or high priest or priestess and also yourself before you join the group, questions to ask could be:
* What is this coven trying to accomplish?
* How many members are in the coven and how big do they expect to grow?
* What is the group's general experience in the Wicca practice?
* What is the turnover rate of the coven, do members leave frequently? * Have the coven been forced to banish a member and if so why?
* What qualities are the groups leaders looking for and why?
* How do the covens leaders get to chosen as leaders?
* Do leaders have an excessive amount of power over the coven?
* Does the coven have a set of written rules they will let you see?
* What contributions are expected of its members?
* Who prepares and decides the rituals?
* What magical practices does the coven perform or use?
* Do the other members of the coven seem welcoming?
* Are the members committed to spiritual progress?
* Is input readily accepted from members?
Points to be wary of
* Be very wary of anyone who approaches you to ask you to join the coven, this is not normal wiccan behaviour, people aren't asked to join.
* Beware of any covens that have young people under the age of 18 within their coven, responsible high priests and priestesses will never have anyone under the age of 18 in their coven.
* Beware of any coven that asks members to do chores or work for the high priest and priestesses, genuine high priests and priestesses never have this rule.
* Beware of any coven that abuses members for wrongdoing.
* Beware of any coven whose leader insists that a sexual ritual must take place with the high priest or priestess before being enrolled into the coven.
The witches coven
© Copyright 2006 Occultresearch.org - occult, cults, witchcraft & black magic - All rights reserved